Tea Trade Association of Malaysia, previously known as Tea Merchant’s Association Federation of Malaya, was founded in 1955.
Some Chinese tea merchants from around Selangor and Kuala Lumpur, initiated its inception then with an objective to solve common problems facing tea traders in safeguarding their interests.
Its initial secretariat prior to inception was at No. 71, Jalan Hang Lekiu, Kuala Lumpur. After its official inception, it had its office at Ann Koal Association’s building at No. 58, Jalan Hang Lekiu.
On the 1st of April, 1956, it shifted to the second floor of the Fooi Chew Association’s building at No. 24, Jalan Cheng Lock.
In 1970, it reallocated to its own premises at the 4th floor of a storey building at 21C, Jalan Ipoh Kecil, Kuala Lumpur.
In 2000, to keep abreast with the changing era, it acquired a property at 1-5-16, Jalan 1/5D, Diamond Square, Off Batu 31/2, Jalan Gombak, Kuala Lumpur, which houses its current secretariat.
To date, the association has a membership of about 100, with members spreading throughout the Peninsular of Malaysia. Its members trade a variety of teas, mainly black tea, Oolong, Liu Pao, Pu’Er and flavoured teas etc. Most of them operate on a family-business basis, inherited tea business from their ancestors, with some exceeding 4 generations.
In 1999, to suit the changing national conditions, the association was renamed as Tea Trade Association of Malaysia from its previous name of the Tea Merchant’s Association Federation of Malaya.
In terms of administration, it holds a general meeting biyearly in which 27 members are to be elected to serve on an executive committee. The association has been growing from strengths to strengths, so to speak.